United Boeing 747-400 at KIAD

Post images from recent spotting trips, your accepted photos on Airliners.net and JetPhotos.net, or get pre- and post-screening advice.
Note
For help adding images or videos, read "How to embed media / guidelines".
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

United Boeing 747-400 at KIAD

Post by Cary »

I took a couple days off work to catch the final few flights of a United 747 at Dulles. I got distracted at BWI and forgot to properly track the inbound flight from Houston, as I wasn't sure it would even arrive during daylight (because regular color Southwest are so much more interesting than a UA 744! :lol:). I set a FlightAware alert (which failed), and the FR24 alert happened while I was driving and I somehow assumed it was just the local Houston flight-to-nowhere and didn't bother following up. So I missed what would have been a nice golden hour arrival shot :thumbdown: I was determined not to miss the employee flight departure and arrival the next day, so I set up in what I thought would be a good location after some tense moments of not knowing which runway it would use (Dulles is so big that it would be difficult to switch spots once the plane started taxiing). Luckily, things worked out:

United Airlines Boeing 747-422 - N118UA, on AeroPX

Because of a 40-minute delay going out, the sun angle was poor for the return:

United Airlines Boeing 747-422 - N118UA, on AeroPX

I had flown on a United 747 as a kid (I believe a 747-200) and the last time I photographed one in sun was when my mom brought me to Dulles as a teenager (on Kodachrome and distant). Yes, I'm that old :D After that, I just barely missed good light when one came to EWR during the Olympics, so it was nice to finally get a quality shot, even though I waited until the very end :)
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class

Re: United Boeing 747-400 at KIAD

Post by Len90 »

Be happy you at least got a shot of the UA 747 in the farewell. Sadly I got jibbed of catching it at EWR. I did get one once at EWR with some great wintry snow reflection and overcast skies for the Sochi Olympics.

Sadly DL will not be bringing the 747 back to the NYC area for the farewell. Seems like JFK will be the forgotten hub. They did operate the 747 out of JFK up until a few years ago
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr