Berlin Airlift C-97 at Floyd Bennett Field

Post images from recent spotting trips, your accepted photos on Airliners.net and JetPhotos.net, or get pre- and post-screening advice.
Note
For help adding images or videos, read "How to embed media / guidelines".
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Berlin Airlift C-97 at Floyd Bennett Field

Post by Moose135 »

The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation, which operates the C-54 that you may have seen on the air show circuit, also owns a Boeing C-97. The C-97 has been in the HARP Hangar at Floyd Bennett Field for the past 15 years undergoing restoration. They have finally completed all the work, and are prepared to fly it out. They attempted to depart today, however an issue with one engine scrubbed the attempt. They actually taxied out to the runway ready for takeoff when they discovered the issue. If all goes well, they may try again on Thursday.

Here are some photos from today's attempt.

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Berlin Airlift C-97 at Floyd Bennett Field

Post by Cary »

Wow, this is awesome! Too bad about the engine troubles, but great job capturing some history, Moose!
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Thanks, Cary. My selfish hope is that they get delayed until Friday, or maybe over the weekend. The boss let me blow off work this afternoon, but if they go Thursday, I'll be in the office.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:Thanks, Cary. My selfish hope is that they get delayed until Friday, or maybe over the weekend. The boss let me blow off work this afternoon, but if they go Thursday, I'll be in the office.
Hope it works out for you. How long will you be up here for?

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

I'll be here until next Wednesday, then I head to Pocono for the NASCAR weekend, and back to Charlotte from there.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:I'll be here until next Wednesday, then I head to Pocono for the NASCAR weekend, and back to Charlotte from there.
Cool, I'll have to keep an eye on ABE to see if any traffic goes there.

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

They tried again today - I was at work - and scrubbed again. I'm hearing they are going to replace the carb on #3 engine, which was giving them problems, then they need to coordinate with half the western world again, plus they will be at Reading this weekend with the C-54. It's looking like it will be a couple of weeks at least before they try again. I'll pass along any news I hear in case anyone wants to try to catch it. I'll be long gone by then.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:They tried again today - I was at work - and scrubbed again. I'm hearing they are going to replace the carb on #3 engine, which was giving them problems, then they need to coordinate with half the western world again, plus they will be at Reading this weekend with the C-54. It's looking like it will be a couple of weeks at least before they try again. I'll pass along any news I hear in case anyone wants to try to catch it. I'll be long gone by then.
Thanks for the update! I'm guessing you had special access for those shots? Or were they from a public spot? I've been to Floyd Bennett all of once, for about 3 minutes :)

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

No special access - when I got there, they had a bunch of the area closed off, and had us park in the lot near the Aviator sports center. The plane taxied past us, and they let people go out near the departure end of the runway for the planned takeoff.

Yesterday, one of the guys from the BAHF asked to use one of my photos - the second one posted - for an aviation news magazine. Today, I received an e-mail from the magazine editor, thanking me - they were going to press today(!) - along with a request to send him an invoice (for a fair amount) and my mailing address. :D
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:No special access - when I got there, they had a bunch of the area closed off, and had us park in the lot near the Aviator sports center. The plane taxied past us, and they let people go out near the departure end of the runway for the planned takeoff.

Yesterday, one of the guys from the BAHF asked to use one of my photos - the second one posted - for an aviation news magazine. Today, I received an e-mail from the magazine editor, thanking me - they were going to press today(!) - along with a request to send him an invoice (for a fair amount) and my mailing address. :D
NICE!! Always great getting paid for something you enjoy doing :)

Kepler
Stuck on the Tarmac

Post by Kepler »

Great photos!
The best review of Phallosan Forte.