KCLT - Ongoing Thread

Post images from recent spotting trips, your accepted photos on Airliners.net and JetPhotos.net, or get pre- and post-screening advice.
Note
For help adding images or videos, read "How to embed media / guidelines".
felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Re: KCLT - Ongoing Thread

Post by felipegcmh »

I'm quite surprised to see that the 145th AW transitioned entirely out of the C-130, given that they were one of a few squadrons with MAFFS capability, and pretty sure the only one East of the Mississippi.

146th AW (Port Hueneme / Channel Islands ANGB), 302nd AW (Petersen AFB) and 153rd AW (Cheyenne ANGB) are a bit far away from the Eastern Seaboard, and they're usually tied up during the fire season.
View my photos: JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Those bastards! After a couple of false alarms, I confirmed on FlightAware that Frontier N322FR, Cary Captain the Puffin was arriving in CLT this afternoon. With Runway 5/23 closed for construction, everything from the North and East was coming in on 18L, just like the Frontier flight from TTN a couple of days ago. I got up to the hourly deck about 20 minutes early and waited...and waited...and waited. Kept checking the time and FA, and it was just minutes out. I waited a few minutes, checked FA again, which said "Landed". They brought him in on 18R, those bastards!

I scooted over to the other side of the deck and got it as it taxied in, a little backlit, but better than nothing.

FA showed it was departing around 4pm, so I took a lap around the airport, then headed back to the deck. Going back to TTN, they would be departing 18L, and I waited on the deck where I could watch them push from the gate. To my horror, they headed to 18C, with no time for me to get to the overlook, those bastards!

Again, somewhat backlit, but better than nothing. I'm keeping the FA alert active for now, maybe I'll catch it with proper light.

Those bastards!!!
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Dang! Sorry Captain cost you some money, but you did well with the pics considering. He's been a troublemaker, having already done at least one maintainance diversion (out of TTN and back into PHL where it sat for a full day), and one of my other friends missed it departing LAX, because he took an unexpected runway. And of course since I'm out of town, he finally came to TTN on the late afternoon flight and does it again tomorrow. Thanks for catching him at Cary Liao Town!
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

VPOTUS is attending an event in Charlotte this afternoon, so Air Force 2 (VC-32A 99-0003) dropped in to CLT.

Prior to their arrival, CMPD Aviation Unit (call sign Snoopy) did a runway sweep.

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Air Force 2 ended up departing about a half hour after sunset. Crank up the ISO and serve up a healthy dose of noise reduction... :wtf:

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Nice ones, Moose!

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

We have a new candidate for Catch of the Year at CLT!

Yes, it's the Dubai Air Wing / Royal Flight 747-400. Not sure why it is here, one story I heard was that one of the princes in the Dubai royal family had been attending UNC-Charlotte and just graduated, so he's heading home. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes as much sense as anything else.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:We have a new candidate for Catch of the Year at CLT!

Yes, it's the Dubai Air Wing / Royal Flight 747-400. Not sure why it is here, one story I heard was that one of the princes in the Dubai royal family had been attending UNC-Charlotte and just graduated, so he's heading home. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes as much sense as anything else.
Another great catch, Moose!

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

We had an AirX Charter A340 drop in to Charlotte today. AirX is out of Malta, and they were carrying the Borussia Dortmund soccer team for a match Sunday against Liverpool F.C. in the International Champions Cup.

A Virgin Atlantic A340 brought Liverpool in from the UK early this morning - they arrived at 6:15am, and departed three hours later. Needless to say, I didn't catch it. The game is Sunday afternoon, and hopefully I'll get to shoot the AirX (and maybe whatever picks up Liverpool) when they depart.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Moose135 wrote:We had an AirX Charter A340 drop in to Charlotte today. AirX is out of Malta, and they were carrying the Borussia Dortmund soccer team for a match Sunday against Liverpool F.C. in the International Champions Cup.

A Virgin Atlantic A340 brought Liverpool in from the UK early this morning - they arrived at 6:15am, and departed three hours later. Needless to say, I didn't catch it. The game is Sunday afternoon, and hopefully I'll get to shoot the AirX (and maybe whatever picks up Liverpool) when they depart.
Awesome. I'd happily take the AirX over the Virgin :D

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

After beating Liverpool FC this afternoon, Borussia Dortmund heads to Pittsburgh for their next game in the International Champions Cup.

JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

Stunning shots from the departure, Moose! Really a good catch.

9H-BIG came twice to Frankfurt already, too. But once I had no time and on the other day light was really shitty, so I didn't bother. I hope I can catch it one day in similar nice conditions!
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Thank you! There were thunderstorms all around the area - they had been on a ground stop about an hour before, but it cleared up around the airport, and we had just enough sun poking through (it was about 20 minutes before sunset) to get some good captures. They weren't showing up on the flight trackers until they actually took off, but I saw when their game ended, and headed to CLT shortly after. They were just finishing up loading bins in the hold when we got there, so we headed to the parking deck for the departure. Worked out just right!
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

More interesting diversions due to weather in ATL. Last night, we had an Air France 777 drop in for a visit.

American Airbus faces off with a French Boeing at CLT

They are starting a new program and will have a variety of food trucks at the overlook Thursdays through Sundays. Yesterday was the first day for it, and we had an ice cream and Italian ice truck out.

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Ha, I read about the food truck tidbit (I believe through the Carolinas Aviation Museum FB). The question is how will LH Lady feel about them ;)

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Football season is almost upon us, with training camps and pre-season games underway. Yesterday afternoon, the Miami Dolphins arrived in Charlotte for a Friday evening game against the Panthers. They flew in on two 737s, one from Kaiser Air and the other from Miami Air. I hadn't photographed the Kaiser 737 before - it's an ex-Midway 737-700 without winglets.

Thanksgiving weekend should be a big one around here too - the Seattle Seahawks play the Panthers on that Sunday - and they will be flying on a Hawaiian A330. Should be a cool catch!
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

That Kaiser is sweet! Any idea if the Dolphins will be using it the entire season? Hopefully, I can catch the Seahawks when they go to Chicago, since I'll be near ORD at that time.

Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

I haven't seen anything yet on what the Dolphins will be using for the season, I'll keep an eye out and let you know what I see.
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Caught this USA Jet DC-9-32 on the cargo ramp. She was built in 1976, making her 42 years old, and was originally delivered to the Kuwait Air Force as a VIP transport.

The real reason I was out at CLT today - the New England Patriots arrived for a Friday night game against the Panthers. The registration, N36NE, is blocked on FlightAware, but checking flights between PVD and CLT for today, there was one listed as UDG4322 on a 763. Turns out they use the call sign "Underdog".

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Wow, two great catches in great light! Plus, matching colors :)