The New A.net is coming...

Discuss camera gear, photo editing, photo sales, stolen images and more.
Note
For help adding images or videos, read "How to embed media / guidelines".
Len90
First Class
First Class

Re: The New A.net is coming...

Post by Len90 »

So it seems like the photo quality issue lies within the actual acceptance. My old photos still show in the quality they were uploaded with (1200 wide) but a new acceptance is only 687 wide... causing it to look like garbage when viewed on a full screen mode. I uploaded the shot at 1200 wide. My other images still in the queue show as 1200 wide yet.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

I finally got a chance to play with the new A.net on a desktop, and it's even worse than my initial impressions :? As has been mentioned, the image sizes are wonky (as a web dev, I know why they tried doing what they did, but it's a terrible approach). The watermarks and copyright bars still have issues (plus the fact that you can only select 3 horizontal and 3 vertical positions for watermarks). They have no method of linking thumbnails to the photos anymore (who cares about page views and referral traffic?). There are too many ads and other distracting content on photo pages. I also don't like the huge size for the Top 5 on the homepage. And a lot could be written about the forums, besides the lack of readability. The fact that they used the same free forum software that I'm running, instead of ponying up a small amount for more sophisticated script, is pretty funny.

I've decided to not post any of my better photos until they get things straightened out. Those will go on JetPhotos, who apparently have their queue down to around a week, which is great.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class

Post by Len90 »

Cary wrote: I've decided to not post any of my better photos until they get things straightened out. Those will go on JetPhotos, who apparently have their queue down to around a week, which is great.
I had no idea their queue was finally down to a manageable time period. I started submitting and it looks like their site is having issues now. Keep getting Request time out pages.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Len90 wrote:
Cary wrote: I've decided to not post any of my better photos until they get things straightened out. Those will go on JetPhotos, who apparently have their queue down to around a week, which is great.
I had no idea their queue was finally down to a manageable time period. I started submitting and it looks like their site is having issues now. Keep getting Request time out pages.
Must be all the A.net defectors adding strain on the server ;)

JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

Cary wrote:
I've decided to not post any of my better photos until they get things straightened out. Those will go on JetPhotos, who apparently have their queue down to around a week, which is great.
I just decided to do exactly the same. I will keep those in that I have in the queue (no choice anyway as the delete button is gone - lol), but won't upload new ones.
I am pretty happy with my new jp account. I mean I've uploaded 5 rather basic shots and after 3 days the worst of them has 500 views. Certainly FR24 helps, but still not bad.

Of my only three shots accepted on the "new" airliners site, 2 of them are struggling to reach the 200 view count after more than a week and the popular one is at over 300, and I know that a lot of photos seem to be doing even worse view-wise. Unbelievable but a shot that has 380 views after one week, is one of the more popular ones at the moment.... and the trend is not going up.
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

Just saw this on an A.net thread discussing forum issues. It was posted by Kas, the screener who has been one of the few crew actually interacting with anyone since the change. Looks like more changes are on the way, maybe...
We should be getting a new forum layout next week.
About an hour ago, I sent the developers the full list of outstanding forum issues/suggestions, with the advice to fix most (if not all) the items on that list before implementation of the new forum. Your above question is included in that list.

Whether it is actually feasible or not, I don't know.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

I'm a few days late, but A.net went back to the old way of displaying the Top 5. A good step back in the right direction and hopefully more improvements to come.

Len90
First Class
First Class

Post by Len90 »

Hmm A.net making changes because of people speaking up. The pages must have taken a serious hit. I will say my latest accepted image gain 100+ views in 24 hours so something has gotten slightly better... Still though that image is beaten by jp who has more than double the amount of views and that image is without any flightradar 24 help.