A.net Photographer's choice Cheating

Note
This forum is no longer automatically anonymous. If you require anonymity, please log out of your account and post as a guest. Posts require moderator approval, which may take up to 48 hours.

A.net Photographer's choice Cheating

Post by Guest »

This has caught my attention for a while now. Certain photographer seem to get the award for rather normal shots.

Don't get me wrong, the shots are fine, but seriously nothing people would normally vote for.
And as obviously very few votes are needed it is rather easy to cheat the system I would guess.

But this John richard Thompson now really overdid it.
Two PC's in a row for the following shots:

As for TK748 people seem to mistake new liveries they like with shots that are actually good quite often these days, too. I mean the 748 maybe exciting, the shot itself is far from great.

Re: A.net Photographer's choice Cheating

Post by Guest »

I looked through other recent Photographer's Choice winners, and the first two "normal" shots I came across (nothing extraordinary, non-vintage, not new livery, etc.) were both his, too:

Pretty obvious something fishy is going on. Probably getting friends to vote for his photos, or maybe he even made multiple accounts for himself, since it likely only takes a few votes.

Post by Guest »

I know this photographer, he’s an Airline Captain in Australia. Most of his shots are impossible to get airside shots. That 787 shot was airside at Melbourne Airport and the A321 was also airside at the Gold Coast of a special scheme with only 2 or 3 others shots in the DB. He gets very little assistance from A.net in regards to FB exposure, if anything he gets hindered by the administrator there probably because unlike most of the cowards on this site that simply moan like $5 hookers he complained to A.net about the unfair way FB is used there and as a result gets minimal exposure of his own shots. Have a look at his complete portfolio and you could only dream of getting some of his shots, alas, you’re stuck with pushing your lens up against the boundary fence. I’ll let him know you’re upset with him and if you ever grow a pair perhaps you can post your details and he can get in touch with you and chat about it.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I know this photographer, he’s an Airline Captain in Australia. Most of his shots are impossible to get airside shots. That 787 shot was airside at Melbourne Airport and the A321 was also airside at the Gold Coast of a special scheme with only 2 or 3 others shots in the DB. He gets very little assistance from A.net in regards to FB exposure, if anything he gets hindered by the administrator there probably because unlike most of the cowards on this site that simply moan like $5 hookers he complained to A.net about the unfair way FB is used there and as a result gets minimal exposure of his own shots. Have a look at his complete portfolio and you could only dream of getting some of his shots, alas, you’re stuck with pushing your lens up against the boundary fence. I’ll let him know you’re upset with him and if you ever grow a pair perhaps you can post your details and he can get in touch with you and chat about it.
You know this photographer or you are this photographer? :think: Having airside access (which many people do) doesn't automatically qualify as Photographer's Choice material. Your his photos are fine...some are very nice, but there's a substantial difference in many of the other recent PCs:

compared to the examples. That's not to say the photographer's photos are bad by any means...they just aren't extraordinary.

Post by Guest »

Your nearly correct buddy, he is my Dad and that’s why I’ve taken exception to him being called a cheat by some anonymous amateur weekend plane spotter who chooses not to reveal himself. Why don’t you put some of your shots up so they can be reviewed? My name is Stephen Thomson. My Dad is John Thomson ( please note the correct spelling...if you’re going to insult somebody at least have the courtesy to spell their name correctly ). I have 6 photos on A.net under my nickname Lauren Thomson. Feel free to have a look and publicly trash them. I have a friend who has a handful of shots on A.net as well. This gives us the right to vote for Photographers Choice and I unashamedly admit that I often vote for my Dads photos as well as those of other photographers that I like. I stopped uploading years ago when I realised that A.net is a bit of a rort. If it only takes 2 votes to win the PC does that mean that there aren’t two people on the planet willing to vote for your shots? That’s sad. In regards to the sample shots you’ve posted from other photographers they are all great shots. I voted for the Lufthansa 747 but please don’t try to tell me that it’s nothing other than a camera on a tripod in the gate lounge probably aperture super glued to F8 and then shutter pressed. The aerial shot from Germany....sitting by an open helicopter door while the pilot puts him in the right spot and tells him to point the camera and shoot! The air to air shots of the fighters are fantastic and deserve all the exposure they get. My dads boring shot of the Jetstar 787 was taken airside at the threshold. With the exception of one other photographer in Melbourne no one else who uploads to A.net can get those shots. I can go to the gate lounge in Frankfurt tomorrow and take the Lufthansa shot as can anybody else. If I want to blow a thousand dollars I can go to LAX tomorrow and sit in a chopper and get those so called brilliant shots that must be immediately voted Photographers Choice. Anyway, I’ll probably still vote for dads shots, maybe not as much though because I’d hate to offend your sensitivities all I ask is if you’re going to slander somebody have the guts to reveal yourself.

Post by Guest »

Not the OP here, but willing to give my thoughts on the PC system (the rest is just mud slinging):

The real issue with the system is that not enough people vote, simple as that. That's why photos with a low amount of votes can get PC. I try to vote every day, although I do admit I sometimes forget or just not vote if there aren't vote-worthy photos. But if we all try to remember and not half-* it, the PC can be a better reflection of what the public likes. In this case, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Your nearly correct buddy, he is my Dad and that’s why I’ve taken exception to him being called a cheat by some anonymous amateur weekend plane spotter who chooses not to reveal himself. Why don’t you put some of your shots up so they can be reviewed? My name is Stephen Thomson. My Dad is John Thomson ( please note the correct spelling...if you’re going to insult somebody at least have the courtesy to spell their name correctly ). I have 6 photos on A.net under my nickname Lauren Thomson. Feel free to have a look and publicly trash them. I have a friend who has a handful of shots on A.net as well. This gives us the right to vote for Photographers Choice and I unashamedly admit that I often vote for my Dads photos as well as those of other photographers that I like. I stopped uploading years ago when I realised that A.net is a bit of a rort. If it only takes 2 votes to win the PC does that mean that there aren’t two people on the planet willing to vote for your shots? That’s sad. In regards to the sample shots you’ve posted from other photographers they are all great shots. I voted for the Lufthansa 747 but please don’t try to tell me that it’s nothing other than a camera on a tripod in the gate lounge probably aperture super glued to F8 and then shutter pressed. The aerial shot from Germany....sitting by an open helicopter door while the pilot puts him in the right spot and tells him to point the camera and shoot! The air to air shots of the fighters are fantastic and deserve all the exposure they get. My dads boring shot of the Jetstar 787 was taken airside at the threshold. With the exception of one other photographer in Melbourne no one else who uploads to A.net can get those shots. I can go to the gate lounge in Frankfurt tomorrow and take the Lufthansa shot as can anybody else. If I want to blow a thousand dollars I can go to LAX tomorrow and sit in a chopper and get those so called brilliant shots that must be immediately voted Photographers Choice. Anyway, I’ll probably still vote for dads shots, maybe not as much though because I’d hate to offend your sensitivities all I ask is if you’re going to slander somebody have the guts to reveal yourself.
It's very disingenuous to say the LH 747 ramp shot is just a "camera on a tripod in the gate lounge probably aperture super glued to F8 and then shutter pressed" then make a big deal about the Jetstar 787 being taken "airside at the threshold". If it's so easy to replicate the LH, then why haven't you and all other A.net photographers done it yet? If the LH shot was taken from inside the terminal, then the photographer had to be lucky enough to be there at the right place and the right time. Precautions need to be taken for the glare in the terminal windows. Everything needs to be set up and ready to go, as there are only a few seconds where the ramp is free of ramp lice. Exposure is more difficult than a regular day shot. It's not really difficult to pull off, but it is much more so than the Jetstar. You are making a big deal about the Jetstar being PC-worthy mostly because of your dad's access, but the truth is, plenty of people can pull off similar or better shots of a Jetstar 787, with or without special access:

There are a lot of elements that go into making a great photo. Lighting, proximity, interesting objects in the foreground/background, etc. all make a photo unique, not just being over a threshold. Similarly, the All Blacks A321 being airside and only having 5 photos doesn't automatically make it PC-worthy. It's not very well lit, and to be honest, there's already a photo of it that's got better lighting and a better scene with colorful trees. Still, I wouldn't even vote that pic for PC, even though it's very nice:

It's fine for you to be defensive about your dad's photography, but if you were to honestly apply your PC-voting criteria to all the other photos in the database, you'd be voting for many, many photos.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Wow, who knew my forum would dissolve into $5 hooker talk? :lol: BTW, no one on here is a "coward"...pretty much every active member here has tried discussing various issues with A.net staff and on their message boards under their real names. A.net usually ends up deleting/locking or otherwise ignoring those posts, so that's why I started these boards...to give people the opportunity to discuss issues without having them suppressed. As far as the PC conversation goes, I don't know of any rules that prohibit family/friends from voting for someone, but I suppose they might step in if there's a pattern of the same group of people voting for the same photographer. They should make that absolutely clear, though.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr

Post by Guest »

I like all of those Jetstar shots. The best one in my opinion is the the one taken by Lance because it makes me feel like I’m there, close to the action. The others, with the exception of the one at Seattle, we’re either taken from the beach in Sydney with a long lens from the other side of the fence or from the comfort of a helicopter with the pilot doing most of the work for you. They don’t make me feel like I’m there, they make me feel like I’m an onlooker. With Lances one I feel like a can smell the kerosene and the tire smoke as well as feel the vibration as it goes past. The one from Melbourne that you seem so derisive of makes me feel similarly because I’m on the inside not just looking in. Having said that I do prefer the one taken by Lance.

Post by Guest »

Five minutes looking through the A.net DB and I can see that the Lufthansa shot has been replicated many times. Most recently to good effect by Allen Zhao
Stephen Thomson.

Post by Guest »

The way you behave makes it obvious that you have been caught doing something.

If you don't see the difference between those other shots that usually get the award and the UPS / Cathay I am very suprised. But okay we are possibly all not the most objective ones with our own family.

Otherwise noone said that your dad's shots are bad or anything else. They are actually pretty good, as you say. I normally enjoy watching them. The point was just that the UPS and Cathay aren't particularly PC material.

And there were similar incidents in the past. There was a user some years back that would get 50% of his shots to PC. But as people at anet can see who voted for it he was actually banned as they could find out he was using several accounts and voting for his shots then. Let's say if you continue doing what you did it might get investigated,
As well there were facebook groups whose useres voted for each others shots. All got banned from anet. So this is an issue that does get taken seriously. And if you think noone else except us noticed that so far, you are wrong.

The LH748 night shot is damn difficult to make, As mentioned before it was shot through a window and you have to try really hard to avoid reflections. No way you can easily mound a tripod there as well.
But in the end only the result counts. As for a nice shot people don't care if it was difficult to make or if one needed airside access or not. Only the motive is relevant. For example rainbow shots are from a technical point easy to make, you just need to be lucky. Still people like them.

Again if you don't see the difference between Garys shot and others I am a bit sorry. You don't seem to realise what people really seem to appreciate. Just compare the views his LH748 shots have and those that " your" shots above have.

If you bring other names that are in your favour that makes me only think they are possibly part of your conspiracy as well. As mentioned before that can be easily found out in the end.

Also as mentioned before most of us have been rather publicly outspoken over issues on airliners as well. It didn't help us, so now we speak about the things here.

Post by Guest »

Cary wrote:[...]I don't know of any rules that prohibit family/friends from voting for someone, but I suppose they might step in if there's a pattern of the same group of people voting for the same photographer. They should make that absolutely clear, though.
That's because there are no rules regarding voting for PC. It would likely be hard to enforce rules anyway.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Cary wrote:[...]I don't know of any rules that prohibit family/friends from voting for someone, but I suppose they might step in if there's a pattern of the same group of people voting for the same photographer. They should make that absolutely clear, though.
That's because there are no rules regarding voting for PC. It would likely be hard to enforce rules anyway.
That's exactly how it's done. If someone keeps on voting for his best friend noone will care and it is not forbidden. One vote won't get you anywhere. But if 5 guys keep on voting for this best friend and he gets several PC's for rather normal shots it will be looked at.
Luckily that does not happen very often in the end.

Post by Guest »

I guess there's more than one person who's completely unappreciative of unique LAX helicopter shots. I just saw this comment on Thiago's nice shot of a NAX 787 straight over the chevrons:

1. Perhaps Bill should look up what "boasting" means, because Thiago wasn't boasting. He was praising other people for helping make the shot possible. 2. Maybe he should share the hundreds and hundreds of common LAX photos looking straight down at a widebody above the chevrons. I'll wait. 3. Didn't Bill use to be on the A.net staff? What a lousy attitude to give someone who shared a fantastic shot, as a representative (or former representative of the site).

Post by Guest »

I can fully agree with what's been said before.

a) that shot is unique, so the comment doesn't even make sense.
b) really a lousy attitude to post such a comment - even if the shot would actually be more common. But really inapproproate to welcome such a fantastic shot.

But I can add to that:

As apparenlty he is only full of praise for his buddy Royal (whose shots I normally quite like as well, don't get me wrong - still one can exaggerate).

Take a look at the comments under that shot. I would call that hypocrisy at its best:

Basically slamming all other photographers from Seattle, Charleston, Renton and co. that take newsworthy Images in not so great weather,
It basically took me 10 seconds to find these images from Bill and Royal :

Don't take us for fools and tell anyone that these shots had any other goal than being the first.
I really don't like this attitude!

Post by Guest »

I'm a great fan of Royal's photos and image quality, but as a person he can come across as entitled and with a bit of an attitude (although this wears off a bit as a conversation gets longer). Bill can be a difficult person as well. He was indeed a screener in the past.

Post by Guest »

At least people start to wake up

Take that Photographer's choice:

And these comments (anet's usual censorship might delete them for sure):

None of them are forum members as far as I know. So it is not an issue that I made up.

Overall it should just encourage people to vote more...then this would not be happening! I mean the door is open for all these shots as too few people vote.

Post by Guest »

Something did not work, sorry:

That is the shot in question:

Again a nice high quality shot, no doubt. But nothing spectacular and a plain sunny side on of a Delta 757 in the end.

Post by Guest »

Certainly not the first time Royal got PC with a somewhat common photo.

5 out of 6 Photographers Choice after EricG shot, including the following:

http://www.airliners.net/search?photoCategory=38