A.net Remark Censoring

Note
This forum is no longer automatically anonymous. If you require anonymity, please log out of your account and post as a guest. Posts require moderator approval, which may take up to 48 hours.

A.net Remark Censoring

Post by Guest »

I have noticed a few too many times now that my remarks that I submit for pictures are being edited down for an accepted photo. I understand the rules for the remark are to not be a story and are to only be able to add to the picture. For instance most of mine will just include the runway the aircraft if departing/arriving on and my camera equipment used. Sometimes I might add something special to my remark if the picture is a milestone for me, if the equipment is the first commercial service of that type for the airline to this airport, another plane in the background, updated information on a registration. Lately I have noticed that my milestone marking or news about an equipment type to an airport will vanish when the picture is uploaded yet the runway and equipment type will remain; ultimately meaning my remark was edited by the screeners. Now I wouldn't be so annoyed about this if this was the case for EVERYBODY: "It’s rush hour at LAX and quite a few Asian carriers are arriving at this time of day. That’s always nice as the setting sun highlights the AC and surrounding area so beautifully. Case in point is this beautiful Thai T7-3 on short final for 24R, with the small park and In N Out below her nose and the intersection of Lincoln & Sepulveda Blvd. just below her belly. Local time is now 16:33PST" -screener image
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thai-Air ... ER/2833130

Sorry but there is no need to write a novel about that image with such adjectives etc. To me that is abuse of the remark. However, my remark indicating the first scheduled passenger service of "x" equipment type to "y" airport is censored.

Re: A.net Remark Censoring

Post by Guest »

Yeah, there is no reason any semi-normal remark should be censored, based on Paul Paulsen's comments being allowed. They aren't supposed to be "hit-seeking" or contain irrelevant remarks, but most of Paul's comments are exactly that, and reek of magniloquence.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British- ... 41/2442380
"And as the winds blew, the great smell of burgers and fries cooking engulfed me. It was the icing on the cake… so to speak."

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Korean-A ... 61/2506764
"Just a word of caution about that crosswalk in the lower left. LA drivers don’t like to stop for pedestrians so be careful."

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EVA-Air/ ... ER/2551746
"Capturing Hello Kitty was an unexpected pleasure for me, as she had eluded me for over a year now. Quite a few others in this shot were excited to see her fly by too. The little children near the street were waving franticly while mama snapped some photo on her cell phone. People in the park as well as late lunch goers at the In N Out all trained their attention on the Kitty, and rightfully so! A good time was had by all, as you can see. Local time is now 16:16 PDT"

http://www.airliners.net/photo/China-So ... 41/2716299
"Oh, and please be careful when crossing Sepulveda (lower left) as I recently saw a young child with his family almost get hit. Some drivers cut into the next lane over and keep on going."

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Atla ... 28/2813671
"While shooting at my local airport (KPOC) about a month ago I encountered an error code 20 with my 7D. Lucky for me I had stowed away my old 20D and when I took some test shots the other day it worked perfectly. Here we see TF-AAK being greeted by some loyal LAX employees. This beautiful 74 sure generated a lot of interest and it felt good to be a part of the excitement. Local time is now 13:32 PDT and thank you 20D for working so well after sitting in the closet dormant for almost 7 years!"

...and tons more.

Post by Guest »

Reminds me of this.

[YouTube]lDxv9hSKdY4[/YouTube]

Post by Guest »

Fixed. Reminds me of this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxv9hSKdY4[/youtube]

Post by Guest »

I know I won't make myself popular, but every opinion should be welcome, right?

I actually like reading through Paul Paulen's comments, and other's do so as well. He tells a Story, I think it is interesting. I prefer that than tons of anonymous Images where the idea was obviously just to upload as much as possible,

That's my personal view of course..

And to that hit-seeking discussion. Do you really think a lot of people click on a shot based on a comment?? Come on.

Can't tell why some rather basic comments get edited though, had that on some of my shots as well.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: And to that hit-seeking discussion. Do you really think a lot of people click on a shot based on a comment?? Come on.
"Hit-seeking" comes from staff, who don't like comments pointing out fine details in a pic, like Paul does. And yes, people will click on a shot because of a description. If a viewer sees a list of thumbnails (the top of the day) and one of them has a paragraph of text while the others are short or blank, of course your focus will gravitate to the long description. I'm not saying it's bad to be descriptive or "hit-seeking" according to staff (quite the opposite) -- just pointing out why others shouldn't have their comments censored, because there are people who get away with more irrelevant comments (Paul). There are only so many times one photographer should comment about the smell of burgers and fries. Also, staff considers putting large photo size comments as hit-seeking, and even warn about it in the rejection guide.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Guest wrote:I know I won't make myself popular, but every opinion should be welcome, right?
All opinions (including those from A.net/JetPhotos/etc. staff members) are welcome here :) I set this forum up to allow open discussion about the photo sites, without the threat of dissenting viewpoints being deleted, as many of us have experienced on a particular site. And I created the anonymous board so people could express their views without having to worry that their acceptance ratio would be negatively impacted.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr

Post by Guest »

Cary wrote:
Guest wrote:I know I won't make myself popular, but every opinion should be welcome, right?
All opinions (including those from A.net/JetPhotos/etc. staff members) are welcome here :) I set this forum up to allow open discussion about the photo sites, without the threat of dissenting viewpoints being deleted, as many of us have experienced on a particular site. And I created the anonymous board so people could express their views without having to worry that their acceptance ratio would be negatively impacted.
Thanks for pointing that out, cary.

Actually I wrote that, as yes like others, my opinions were censored on that particular site in the past as well. Not to speak of People who received a life-time ban (unfortunately no joke) from a.net forums for being too critical. Very democratic.

Post by Guest »

I actually like reading through Paul Paulen's comments, and other's do so as well. He tells a Story, I think it is interesting. I prefer that than tons of anonymous Images where the idea was obviously just to upload as much as possible,
Don't see any issues with this statement. Sadly a lot more interesting comments have been deleted or censored by the oligarchy, which is soon to become a monarchy if you look at the about page. I would have no issue with his stories if everyone was allowed to be as free to comment.
Guest wrote:And to that hit-seeking discussion. Do you really think a lot of people click on a shot based on a comment?? Come on.
Simple answer... yes. Someone who sees the long comment is going to read it and then click to look at the picture. With a.net views at such a low. I have an image uploaded 3 days ago with less than 20 views right now. You have to imagine that a comment would attract a few more views.

I personally have been put in the overly harsh screening by a.net a few times in the past year. It's cute to see how some go to such extremes in an attempt to get back at you after you call them out at their game

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:And to that hit-seeking discussion. Do you really think a lot of people click on a shot based on a comment?? Come on.
Simple answer... yes. Someone who sees the long comment is going to read it and then click to look at the picture. With a.net views at such a low. I have an image uploaded 3 days ago with less than 20 views right now. You have to imagine that a comment would attract a few more views.
So, why not put a remark on the next similar shot you upload (I suppose it is a DL319 you talk about). If it get's 100views then, you convince me, otherwise not. :D :D

In the end, maybe you get 10 more views with the comment (can't tell), as it makes the shot less anonymous. Okay.
Still it won't make a normal shot special or so. That was my argument, but maybe I didn't say it right.

Paul Paulsen's shots easily fall out of the crowd and that's the reason so popular. Maybe the comments add, but to me that shows just the love of detail to his shots and I appreciate that. And don't get me wrong, I don't know Paul, neither have I ever been in contact with him, not have I personally ever been on the westcoast (unfortunately though).

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: So, why not put a remark on the next similar shot you upload (I suppose it is a DL319 you talk about). If it get's 100views then, you convince me, otherwise not. :D :D

In the end, maybe you get 10 more views with the comment (can't tell), as it makes the shot less anonymous. Okay.
Still it won't make a normal shot special or so. That was my argument, but maybe I didn't say it right.
It was not a Delta 319. And I would put a comment on a shot but it will get deleted and censored... that's the whole point of this thread. You can't even attempt it as the site will remove it.

Say you take a new fleet type at an airport. Give it no comment and people won't realize anything special about it. However, take that same photo and note the first revenue service of "x" equipment type at "y" airport for "z" airline.

Now I can take two basic shots and offer the Paul overly detailed and dramatic narrative on one and say nothing about the other. IF the screeners would ever allow it (which I seriously doubt) we would have a true test.
Guest wrote:Paul Paulsen's shots easily fall out of the crowd and that's the reason so popular. Maybe the comments add, but to me that shows just the love of detail to his shots and I appreciate that. And don't get me wrong, I don't know Paul, neither have I ever been in contact with him, not have I personally ever been on the westcoast (unfortunately though).
He takes pictures from the In and Out burger at LAX... many others have spotted there. He did a helicopter over LAX... many have done that before as well. None of the others have given such elaborate stories to each picture.

Post by Guest »

Going a little off-topic here, but I wonder if A.net will censor this thread, since it seems to be going downhill:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1336607

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Going a little off-topic here, but I wonder if A.net will censor this thread, since it seems to be going downhill:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1336607

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Paul Paulsen's shots easily fall out of the crowd and that's the reason so popular. Maybe the comments add, but to me that shows just the love of detail to his shots and I appreciate that. And don't get me wrong, I don't know Paul, neither have I ever been in contact with him, not have I personally ever been on the westcoast (unfortunately though).
He takes pictures from the In and Out burger at LAX... many others have spotted there. He did a helicopter over LAX... many have done that before as well. None of the others have given such elaborate stories to each picture.
I don't want to go into further detail, in the end we have two differen opinions and that's fair enough. But it is not about the position you shoot from, it is what you make of it!!