Double, Info, Editing, Grainy, WTF?

Note
This forum is no longer automatically anonymous. If you require anonymity, please log out of your account and post as a guest. Posts require moderator approval, which may take up to 48 hours.

Double, Info, Editing, Grainy, WTF?

Post by Guest »

I was going to post this in the Should Have Been Rejected For... thread...
Overediting again. And tons of chroma noise, especially at the bottom. Would love to see the RAW file for this, as I'm betting it would look nothing similar to the finished "photo".

...until I found this image from the same photographer:

It's clearly the same exact photo, yet it has a different registration and a date that's one day off from the other photo. Besides the automatic Double/Info rejection, how in the heck was this accepted when it's obviously overprocessed to hell, even without the original to compare it to? Here's a side by side screenshot, since one of these *should* be deleted:

Is it possible that the photographer somehow got the registration of the planes and the dates mixed up? Possible, but in an age where you have EXIF/timestamps for every photo...it's a bit of a stretch...

Re: Double, Info, Editing, Grainy, WTF?

Post by Guest »

Can stuff like this be reported?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Can stuff like this be reported?
Yes, and the photographer can be temporarily banned for manipulating the date/info to get a new version of the same shot into the database. The more I think about it, the more I believe he did just that. He knew if he put the same registration as the other, a screener would see the original one and reject for Double. To get both the reg and the date wrong makes it extra suspicious.

Post by Guest »

Amazing what goes on there these days...

Post by Guest »

I can not believe.... How you are accessing a.net without Ad Block? :shock:

Seriously, about the picture, if it gets reported, the photographer will get a warning probably.

Post by Guest »

Submitted a correction of info... because clearly he just got confused about the date and aircraft involved :lol:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I can not believe.... How you are accessing a.net without Ad Block? :shock:

Seriously, about the picture, if it gets reported, the photographer will get a warning probably.
Some people have multiple browsers - ones with Adblock and NoScript and ones running plain ;)

And a little birdie told me that the image was brought to the attention of the screeners last night. Both pics still up so far.
Guest wrote:Submitted a correction of info... because clearly he just got confused about the date and aircraft involved :lol:
8-) :P :lol:

Post by Guest »

Received a note from a head screener indicating they will take care of it. Just for the record, I'm not blaming the screener(s) for missing the Double/Info, as they have to take the photographer's word that the info is correct on a photo like this. And without looking through the photographer's entire portfolio or recognizing a 2 year old upload, it would be impossible to find the original.

Post by Guest »

I am that photographer!

Firstly, it looks like the jury has already found me guilty here. Some of you will probably not be convinced by my explanation but I guess there is nothing I can do about that.

For anyone that wants to listen, here is my explanation:

1) I recently started re-editing some old shots because I felt that my editing skills had improved over the last few years. If you check my recent uploads, you'll notice quite a few from 2013 which I have not uploaded before.

2) You can also see that I don't make a deal out of manipulating my photos - the editing is all quite natural with no special effects. It looks like I went over-the-top on this particular image, but at the time on my Photoshop I felt it looked quite good without any old edit to compare it to. Clearly some of you disagree about the level of editing and so my self-perceived improvement leaves a lot to be desired!

3) I held a spreadsheet of dates/flights which was corrupted 6 months ago. If the registration is in view as in 99.9% of my photos, this is not a problem. But for wing-views, with no registration in view, I relied upon my memory. I was sure that I was flying G-NWFC around this time. I also figured that this was the date based on a Facebook post I put up around the same time.

4) As with all my uploads of older photos, I search for the registration mark to be sure I haven't uploaded it before. When I searched G-NWFC it didn't appear in the results and so I went ahead and uploaded. I genuinely didn't know or didn't remember that I'd uploaded the same photo before.

5) I have already emailed the Airliners.net Screeners and asked them to delete my recent upload, in view of the fact that there isn't a feature to upload re-edits of older photos (unlike jetphotos.net for example).

6) As an Airliners.net uploader for 10+ years with 1,250 photos in the database and over 4M views, I have absolutely no motive to trick the system and gain an extra 10K views! I can understand why a newbie photographer might try this to get themselves noticed, but for me there is no obvious gain from purposely re-uploading an old shot.

So, thank you for listening to me, and I hope that my accident can be forgiven in the grand scheme of things! And for those who don't believe my explanation, well, I guess there is not much I can do :|