More Staff Self-Promotion

Note
This forum is no longer automatically anonymous. If you require anonymity, please log out of your account and post as a guest. Posts require moderator approval, which may take up to 48 hours.

Re: More Staff Self-Promotion

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

Add to that Royal's Korean 748 shot, and three of the Top 5 are A.net staff who were promoted on A.net. But they don't play favorites...
:shock:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Add to that Royal's Korean 748 shot, and three of the Top 5 are A.net staff who were promoted on A.net. But they don't play favorites...
:shock:
I'll give Royal's shot a pass, since it was newsworthy, but I don't see how Paul can feel good about awarding himself the Top of the Day all the time, then chastise everyone else for promoting their own pics through FB/Twitter/wherever. I've said it before, but I am currently getting between 5 and 25 click-throughs from my own FB promotions, with probably 5-15 of those in the first 24 hours. Yet he somehow feels like those 15 extra views propel me to the Top 5, and manipulate the system. Give me a break.

Post by Guest »

And now the Top 5 consists of 4 photos which were all promoted pre-Top 5. Funny how that works.

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

Good to see the Andy promotion machine is back to full capacity. This had to be an instant promo based on the low hits after 7 hours:

Post by Guest »

Ultimately I wonder if the promotion is to just appease these photogs because all they care about is views. I've noticed a huge decrease in views on my pictures. I personally attribute it to four aspects that are driving viewers away from a.net: The site having too many issues being down and not getting refreshed in forever, the annoying advertisements, more competition out there with jetphotos, netairspace, and even flickr, and finally people getting annoyed by the BS on the site. Now it seems like the only way to break 1,000 views is for a picture to be "promoted" or newsworthy. Otherwise you are going to see IF YOU ARE LUCKY a couple of hundred views within the first couple of days.

I think this ultimately comes down to views. Andy currently has 63+ million views but falls second to Sam Chui who is nearing 70 million views on the site. Is Andy craving that elusive most viewed photog on the site position?

Finally, Paul has less than 900 pictures currently on the site... what percentage of those have been promoted? Now compare that to another random photographer and I'm sure the results will not be the same.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Ultimately I wonder if the promotion is to just appease these photogs because all they care about is views. I've noticed a huge decrease in views on my pictures. I personally attribute it to four aspects that are driving viewers away from a.net: The site having too many issues being down and not getting refreshed in forever, the annoying advertisements, more competition out there with jetphotos, netairspace, and even flickr, and finally people getting annoyed by the BS on the site. Now it seems like the only way to break 1,000 views is for a picture to be "promoted" or newsworthy. Otherwise you are going to see IF YOU ARE LUCKY a couple of hundred views within the first couple of days.

I think this ultimately comes down to views. Andy currently has 63+ million views but falls second to Sam Chui who is nearing 70 million views on the site. Is Andy craving that elusive most viewed photog on the site position?

Finally, Paul has less than 900 pictures currently on the site... what percentage of those have been promoted? Now compare that to another random photographer and I'm sure the results will not be the same.
I've noticed the substantial decrease in views, too. Some of my shots which would normally bring in a few thousand views on the first day are topping out at maybe 500-1,000. Part of that is obviously due to Paul manipulating the Top 5, but it does seem like views are substantially down overall. I've told Paul a few times that sure, you can get some pics up to 10,000-25,000 views on the first day by insta-promoting, but you're doing it at the expense of all the rest of the top photos. Before, photos in the Top 5 would constantly rotate in and out, bringing fresh content to the homepage, but now the same 5 pics are just stuck there for most of the day.

I'd venture to guess that Paul has promoted 30 of his own pics, or 1 in 30 of all his shots (most, if not all pre-Top 5, no less).

And not too long ago - a screener promotion, followed by another Andy promotion:

Post by Guest »

And...Paul's ratio increased:

So, just to recap...all of the last 4 promotions are from staff members. But since Paul promoted himself again, look for either a long delay before more promotions, or random old stuff from random photographers.

Post by Guest »

This really disgusts me. I personally think that this has to come to an end. I recently had a picture get a few thousand views on its own with no promotion. The reason it didn't make the top 5: Paul's hand picked shots are what made the top 5.

Post by Guest »

As predicted, he waited 6 hours, then promoted a pictures from 2001 and 2010, then waited another 4 hours before promoting a photo from the prior day. Meanwhile, his pre-Top 5-promoted photo ended up with 1,604 views :clap: :lol:

Post by Guest »

Seriously?

Post by Guest »

Well it fulfills the daily SYD and Andrew Hunt promotion all in one. :roll:

Post by Guest »

There is an A.net thread by Andrew Hunt covering changes to the double rule for air to air photos, allowing two shots from a sequence, rather than just one. A few people asked about the reason behind the change, and several thought it was due to the popularity of helicopter shots from LAX and SYD. Forum member johnr had this to say:
I don't think they're as popular as many people think. I'll say first that I like them a lot and enjoy looking at them but if you look at it clinically most of them gather 2 or 300 hits, the ones that do really well are those from a small group of photographers that are put on Facebook and then immediately got to the front page but I won't say any more about that because I know that the topic is not open to discussion on this site.
I suppose with the new rule, Hunt can get twice as many shots promoted...

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:There is an A.net thread by Andrew Hunt covering changes to the double rule for air to air photos, allowing two shots from a sequence, rather than just one. A few people asked about the reason behind the change, and several thought it was due to the popularity of helicopter shots from LAX and SYD. Forum member johnr had this to say:
I don't think they're as popular as many people think. I'll say first that I like them a lot and enjoy looking at them but if you look at it clinically most of them gather 2 or 300 hits, the ones that do really well are those from a small group of photographers that are put on Facebook and then immediately got to the front page but I won't say any more about that because I know that the topic is not open to discussion on this site.
I suppose with the new rule, Hunt can get twice as many shots promoted...
Did that post get deleted already? I'm not seeing it, but it's funny how others notice the same thing that's pointed out here. I guess Paul can't handle the truth.

Post by Guest »

Yes, it's gone...

Post by Guest »

But wait, there's more!

Post by Guest »

4 out of the last 5 promotions have been staff. The photographer's choice promotion is the only non staff promotion in that last 5. Nice job Paul in letting everyone get fair representation. :clap:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:4 out of the last 5 promotions have been staff. The photographer's choice promotion is the only non staff promotion in that last 5. Nice job Paul in letting everyone get fair representation. :clap:
He never said others would get fair representation:
Again, a shot does not have to be actual news to be newsworthy, it just needs to be good as that is what our followers want.
It just has to be "good", and only photos taken by A.net staff are good. Please remember that. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Paul had a photo creeping towards the Top 5, shockingly on its own accord (along with Andrew), so he pulled the usual move of waiting half a day before promoting anything, then choosing 2 ancient photos (one with over a million views). Meanwhile, he ignored not one but two newsworthy photos, sitting just outside the Top 5:

First photo of a new special scheme:

A month-old special scheme making an inaugural flight. I mean, he loves Scoot...not sure why he'd avoid promoting it?:

Edit: Those just entered the Top 5, with 431 and 369 views.
Edit 2: He just promoted the first airplane, but not the same photo that had already made it to the Top 5. It's a virtually identical shot that had a few hundred less views, and is lower in quality/size. Makes sense to promote the less-popular one, I guess.