Body Found Near PHL Spotting Location

Share spotting locations or ask other airport-specific questions.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Body Found Near PHL Spotting Location

Post by Cary »

Pretty crazy...a body was found in a burning car on Fort Mifflin Road, near Runway 26:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 06101.html

I was thinking of doing some PHL spotting before work, but I think I'll pass.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class

Re: Body Found Near PHL Spotting Location

Post by Len90 »

Might make me think twice now. I always thought when you are on Hog Island alone that it could be a bit scary.

In the end do you think this will have any impact on the future of spotting from Hog Island?
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Len90 wrote:Might make me think twice now. I always thought when you are on Hog Island alone that it could be a bit scary.

In the end do you think this will have any impact on the future of spotting from Hog Island?
Hopefully not. I think the police will stare down our cars with a little more scrutiny in the near future, but this was a pretty random/bizarre incident. I just hope the next time I'm spotting at PHL, there are other spotters there with me. Not for safety, but just so police don't kick me out since I'm an easy target :)

felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

As if the area wasn't sketchy enough at times...
View my photos: JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

felipegcmh wrote:As if the area wasn't sketchy enough at times...
I've never felt uncomfortable at all while spotting at PHL. The only places I thought have been sketchy are MDW and a couple of locations at JFK. Also, TTN and EWR, but relating to over-aggressive law enforcement.

felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

Cary wrote:
I've never felt uncomfortable at all while spotting at PHL. The only places I thought have been sketchy are MDW and a couple of locations at JFK. Also, TTN and EWR, but relating to over-aggressive law enforcement.
I only felt a tad uncomfortable when I was in the gravel lot where you can shoot takeoffs, some guy was walking and looked semi sketchy, that said, I wouldn't like to be out there without a car. Now, keep in mind that the one time I went to PHL I was trying to grab lunch and heard gunshots, close to where I was at, and as I left the area I drove by the SEPTA train shelter and there was this kid looking very suspicious with his hands inside his hoodie and whatnot, so that day I was already slightly shaken. I've definitely been in worse places like PTY (where I shot from an SUV with my dad acting as my getaway driver, literally pull off the road, shoot from the running boards, get in, leave) and around the El Centro UP yard and Phoenix's BNSF Mobest Yard (for trains), and had an interesting encounter with a guy who I nicknamed "the sketchy navajo" while railfanning in Flagstaff. The 40th St. spot in Phoenix is one where I wouldn't want to be alone after sunset.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

felipegcmh wrote:
Cary wrote:
I only felt a tad uncomfortable when I was in the gravel lot where you can shoot takeoffs, some guy was walking and looked semi sketchy, that said, I wouldn't like to be out there without a car. Now, keep in mind that the one time I went to PHL I was trying to grab lunch and heard gunshots, close to where I was at, and as I left the area I drove by the SEPTA train shelter and there was this kid looking very suspicious with his hands inside his hoodie and whatnot, so that day I was already slightly shaken. I've definitely been in worse places like PTY (where I shot from an SUV with my dad acting as my getaway driver, literally pull off the road, shoot from the running boards, get in, leave) and around the El Centro UP yard and Phoenix's BNSF Mobest Yard (for trains), and had an interesting encounter with a guy who I nicknamed "the sketchy navajo" while railfanning in Flagstaff. The 40th St. spot in Phoenix is one where I wouldn't want to be alone after sunset.
Stupid question, but were the gunshots near Fort Mifflin/the Runway 27R area? Just asking, since they'll fire off the canons every now and then. They might also fire blanks in some re-enactment type scenario. The only things I'm concerned about are the few LEO who act like you can't park near Runway 27R and having a UPS truck drive to close to the edge of the road.

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Speaking of PHL, the expansion project is closer to reality:
http://6abc.com/business/phl-to-announc ... on/675827/

The way the runways are laid out could make it very difficult for spotting.

felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

The gunshots were over by the Kmart/Wendy's in Penrose Plaza (I think), gunshots and sirens, so I doubt those were cannons.

On the expansion subject, I guess it's gonna depend on how the road gets realigned, because it looks like one runway is going to be right over a chunk of the current alignment.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

felipegcmh wrote:The gunshots were over by the Kmart/Wendy's in Penrose Plaza (I think), gunshots and sirens, so I doubt those were cannons.

On the expansion subject, I guess it's gonna depend on how the road gets realigned, because it looks like one runway is going to be right over a chunk of the current alignment.
Gotcha, yeah, that area is sketchy. I thought you were talking about in a spotting location.

From the current plans, Hog Island Road ends at Sunoco. Which means if the current 27L is the main arrival runway (which would make the most sense), getting arrivals (besides a few hours in the summer) will be next to impossible :(

felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

Cary wrote: Gotcha, yeah, that area is sketchy. I thought you were talking about in a spotting location.

From the current plans, Hog Island Road ends at Sunoco. Which means if the current 27L is the main arrival runway (which would make the most sense), getting arrivals (besides a few hours in the summer) will be next to impossible :(
Yeah, I found out. The spotting location was alright, saw a slightly shady looking guy walking around (over by the gravel lot / departures spot) but that was it.

Are there any alternate locations for spotting? besides catching whatever Dash 8's use the cross runway?
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

felipegcmh wrote:
Cary wrote: Gotcha, yeah, that area is sketchy. I thought you were talking about in a spotting location.

Yeah, I found out. The spotting location was alright, saw a slightly shady looking guy walking around (over by the gravel lot / departures spot) but that was it.

Are there any alternate locations for spotting? besides catching whatever Dash 8's use the cross runway?
If you don't mind distance, Red Bank Battlefield Park in NJ (and the shoreline near there) is an option. If the current 27L is used for arrivals, then that would bring them even closer. Would be about 1,000-1,500 feet to the 27L centerline from there. That may be the new "go-to" spot, if the plans stay in place.

felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

Well, I'm gonna have to plan a trip to PHL some time this year, before the current setup goes away. I need my WaWa fix too.