A.net social media promotions

Note
This forum is no longer automatically anonymous. If you require anonymity, please log out of your account and post as a guest.

Re: A.net social media promotions

Post by Guest »

I made quite a mistake today!

I initially wanted to visit airliners, but I went straight to Szabo's personal website:

Wait...this is airliners (!!)

As everyone can see he obviously hates self-promotion, he really can't stand that.
Hypocrisy award of the day: S.G.

Post by Guest »

Once again dominating the front page with 3 pictures. I don't believe this is self promotion, maybe bots? Reddit + facebook won't get that many views for a simple shots like this:

When I see a non-static night shot from Szabo I always open just to see how bad they are. Not disappointed.
Guest wrote:You know who always complains about photographers promoting themselves and "manipulating photo views" on anet's internal discussions?
Yes Szabo himself.
He's lost any credibility with me with his double standards.
Oh I forgot he already didn't have any :D
I would love to see what other crew members say after he complains on internal discussions.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Guest wrote:Once again dominating the front page with 3 pictures. I don't believe this is self promotion, maybe bots? Reddit + facebook won't get that many views for a simple shots like this:
Sorry for going off-topic, but whenever I vertically center the fuselage in the dead center, if a tail or winglet comes within 300 pixels of the top of the frame, I get a centering rejection and my appeal gets rejected. The bottom wingtip fuel tank here is much closer to the bottom edge and the thumbnail feels very unbalanced. This inconsistency is what really grinds my gears. If my photos go through intense scrutiny and get rejected by a normal screener and again by a head screener when it's nothing like this, why don't the same standards apply here? Either reject both mine and this one, or accept mine when I plead that the window line is dead center and the wingtip/tail are still very far from the top edge.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Once again dominating the front page with 3 pictures. I don't believe this is self promotion, maybe bots? Reddit + facebook won't get that many views for a simple shots like this:
Well from what I know he posted them on his own facebook account, in some groups and on reddit. I think with that you can get these views. Especially as a lot of people on faceook will just click on anything.

Concerning the off-center discussion: Yes that shot feels very low in frame and normally that would be rejected, right.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Well from what I know he posted them on his own facebook account, in some groups and on reddit. I think with that you can get these views. Especially as a lot of people on faceook will just click on anything.

Concerning the off-center discussion: Yes that shot feels very low in frame and normally that would be rejected, right.
Yes, I doubt he'd resort to using a bot. These days, if you promote through FB, Reddit, etc., that's all you need to get the extra edge over everyone else. A lot of days, it seems you can get into the Top 5 with only 400 views. If course, that gets thrown out the window when arbitrary non-newsworthy shots get promoted by A.net pre-Top 5.

Post by Guest »

“ Hit Whore Gabor “ seems to be getting a lot of FB promotion at the moment.... hasn’t “ Hit Whore Hunt “ got any more SQ cabin shots that he needs promoting?.??? Surely “ Hit Whore Harris” has got a few more sunny side ons from Sydney that could get put up on FB?

Post by Guest »

It’s such a shame that so many great shots are not making the Top 5 because of one individuals own selfish indulgence.

Post by Guest »

Szabo is not using social media platforms as mentioned before. From the last 26 acceptances: 1k, 850 and 798 views.

Post by Guest »

Once again all Top 5 shots taken by Gabor, this is getting ridiculous. Why would anybody bother uploading to A.net anymore when you have shameless hit whores like him constantly rorting the system. The guy is a disgrace.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Szabo is not using social media platforms as mentioned before. From the last 26 acceptances: 1k, 850 and 798 views.

Don't know what's up, but none of his photos in those screenshots are currently showing up anymore (the photos around them are still there). Some fishy stuff going on.

Post by Guest »

You’ll probably find it’s the other two hit whore screeners that have demanded an end to his shameless antics, not because it’s unfair to the other hundreds of uploaders but because it was preventing their own shots getting to the Top 5.

Post by Guest »

And he's back with the top 3 pics of the day. 2 of which weren't promoted by A.net. Here are the view counts compared to others that were accepted at the same time:

Nothing suspicious at all.

Post by Guest »

Szabo once again with three pictures on Top 5. This is beyond ridiculous.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Szabo once again with three pictures on Top 5. This is beyond ridiculous.
And 7 of the top 36 pics, including a Cessna on the ramp in bad overcast light with over 110 views. Nothing to see here, folks.

Post by Guest »

5 of Top 7. No wonder why so many great photographers left the website...

Post by Guest »

As others have noted this is beyond ridiculous.
People at anet downplay this issue.
He is obviously harming the reputation of the site heavily. I mean if Mark has a taxiing shot from Sydney here and there and the frontpage, thwn be it, but that guy is now repeatingly blocking most at least 3 out of the 5 spots with very basic and I am sorry to say uninteresting and uninspiring stuff.
Really I don't have any respect left for him.

Post by Guest »

He’s a disgraceful hit who’re who should be kicked off the site.

Post by Guest »

Even though he does plug his own photos in places, some of Gabor's photos have been targeted and hitpumped by an unknown party. Including the less interesting photos. This also explains why some of those photos were subsequently deleted for now.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Even though he does plug his own photos in places, some of Gabor's photos have been targeted and hitpumped by an unknown party. Including the less interesting photos. This also explains why some of those photos were subsequently deleted for now.
The one that really made it obvious was the Cessna that had almost 800 views with no A.net promotion, when other uploads accepted at the same time were between 0 and 53 views (the second and third highest also being his). It's hard enough to get a few hundred views on a very nice photo these days, so getting 800 views on a poorly-lit Cessna shortly after acceptance should have sounded alarm bells for view count tampering.

Post by Guest »

It is really odd that Szabo now comes across as a victim in this story (I ve heard this story from other sources as well).
Don't forget we are talking about this guy that was hit pumping his shots so much that during September he was occupying at least 3 out of 5 almost everyday.
Surely this is formally not against any rule but there are certain lines of conduct and I think especially screeners should act as examples to follow and not particular bad ones.
There is really nothing against promoting a shot here and there and if it comes to me if certain guys have top shots every week then be it. But going as far as to constantly block most of the spots is really a disrespectful behaviour to all other photographers. I don't think it is helpful for the site and its reputation to hammer his view counts with a bot but I d do understand the motivation for this very well.

And the worst to me is when afterwards when his subpar nightshots are being discussed it is used as an argument that his shots were rather popular after all. Really taking others for fools. As you couldn't make anything "popular" with enough promotion these days.