I am that photographer!
Firstly, it looks like the jury has already found me guilty here. Some of you will probably not be convinced by my explanation but I guess there is nothing I can do about that.
For anyone that wants to listen, here is my explanation:
1) I recently started re-editing some old shots because I felt that my editing skills had improved over the last few years. If you check my recent uploads, you'll notice quite a few from 2013 which I have not uploaded before.
2) You can also see that I don't make a deal out of manipulating my photos - the editing is all quite natural with no special effects. It looks like I went over-the-top on this particular image, but at the time on my Photoshop I felt it looked quite good without any old edit to compare it to. Clearly some of you disagree about the level of editing and so my self-perceived improvement leaves a lot to be desired!
3) I held a spreadsheet of dates/flights which was corrupted 6 months ago. If the registration is in view as in 99.9% of my photos, this is not a problem. But for wing-views, with no registration in view, I relied upon my memory. I was sure that I was flying G-NWFC around this time. I also figured that this was the date based on a Facebook post I put up around the same time.
4) As with all my uploads of older photos, I search for the registration mark to be sure I haven't uploaded it before. When I searched G-NWFC it didn't appear in the results and so I went ahead and uploaded. I genuinely didn't know or didn't remember that I'd uploaded the same photo before.
5) I have already emailed the Airliners.net Screeners and asked them to delete my recent upload, in view of the fact that there isn't a feature to upload re-edits of older photos (unlike jetphotos.net for example).
6) As an Airliners.net uploader for 10+ years with 1,250 photos in the database and over 4M views, I have absolutely no motive to trick the system and gain an extra 10K views! I can understand why a newbie photographer might try this to get themselves noticed, but for me there is no obvious gain from purposely re-uploading an old shot.
So, thank you for listening to me, and I hope that my accident can be forgiven in the grand scheme of things! And for those who don't believe my explanation, well, I guess there is not much I can do