Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Talk about aviation news, airshows/events, or anything else airplane-related.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:Frontier signs another 6 year lease
http://mercerme.com/frontier-airlines-s ... r-airport/

Its only $18,000 a year, if that stays the same even thru the new terminal then thats a good deal. Or are they thinking a new terminal will take 6 years? I certainly hope not.
I don't know how much airlines typically pay for rent, but $18k seems dirt cheap, even for a small, outdated terminal.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

New startup from B6 founder could come to TTN

Post by Jerseyguy »

Won't be till at least 2021 but a new startup from B6 founder David Neeleman considers TTN using A220-300 (CS300)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 791464002/
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: New startup from B6 founder could come to TTN

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:Won't be till at least 2021 but a new startup from B6 founder David Neeleman considers TTN using A220-300 (CS300)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 791464002/
Wow, TTN was really mentioned...there is hope! :thumbup:
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Jerseyguy »

So I sent a UPS overnight letter to Pensacola yesterday and I was tracking it and decided I'd try to figure out what flight it was on. Turns out it went on a UPS flight from PHL to ABY (Albany, GA). I decided to research this airport because I was curious what this small town airport looked like. Turns out they have a LARGER terminal than TTN (26,000 SQFT vs 24,000). They have 3 RJ flights to ATL on DL that's it. Their catchment is 145,000 and their enplanement numbers are 35,000 a year. They have 1 gate. Compare that to Trenton which has 8-9 daily flights on a A320 an 375,000 enplanement figure and a 2 million plus catchment. Shameful, we'd probably have a modern terminal, a small Southwest presence and maybe even a regional carrier operating for one of the US3 if it wasn't for BRRAM and the rest of the NIMBYs.

https://airportimprovement.com/article/ ... a-regional
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:So I sent a UPS overnight letter to Pensacola yesterday and I was tracking it and decided I'd try to figure out what flight it was on. Turns out it went on a UPS flight from PHL to ABY (Albany, GA). I decided to research this airport because I was curious what this small town airport looked like. Turns out they have a LARGER terminal than TTN (26,000 SQFT vs 24,000). They have 3 RJ flights to ATL on DL that's it. Their catchment is 145,000 and their enplanement numbers are 35,000 a year. They have 1 gate. Compare that to Trenton which has 8-9 daily flights on a A320 an 375,000 enplanement figure and a 2 million plus catchment. Shameful, we'd probably have a modern terminal, a small Southwest presence and maybe even a regional carrier operating for one of the US3 if it wasn't for BRRAM and the rest of the NIMBYs.

https://airportimprovement.com/article/ ... a-regional
BRRAM is essentially a few people with too much time on their hands, who miss getting to run organizations (or never got to earlier in life). They've been able to recruit others, many of them elderly, at about the same rate someone could rope members into a pyramid scheme. If the noise from a dozen non-GA movements a day, which last about 7 seconds each, actually bothered them, they could move. Instead, they choose to fight against a very-much-needed and sensibly-sized terminal and mislead the public into thinking TTN will have 75 gates and non-stop commercial traffic like LGA.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Jerseyguy »

The GA movements are probably louder. Some of them who live in Ewing near the airport have been offered to have the county purchase their homes. They don't want that either. Ironically others complain that they can't sell their homes due to the noise. The FAA could offer grants for installing soundproofing but they have already complained about the toxic jet fumes so that won't work. We should have or be very close to opening a new terminal but thats not going to be years away. Hopefully in time for MOXY
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:The GA movements are probably louder. Some of them who live in Ewing near the airport have been offered to have the county purchase their homes. They don't want that either. Ironically others complain that they can't sell their homes due to the noise. The FAA could offer grants for installing soundproofing but they have already complained about the toxic jet fumes so that won't work. We should have or be very close to opening a new terminal but thats not going to be years away. Hopefully in time for MOXY
Yes, I can say from experience that the flight school Cessnas and things like the lawnmower Piaggio's that come in once in a blue moon are worse than the A320s. In other news, I was temporarily excited when I saw that Frontier was restarting the TTN-FLL route, and it showed as an A321 (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21aug18/). But I checked the F9 site, and it is indeed just using A320s, as I would have suspected :thumbdown:
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Jerseyguy »

One more step in the long drawn out process of the new terminal. By the time its done we'll all have supersonic flying cars. :mrgreen:
https://mercerme.com/mercer-county-anno ... rovements/
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:One more step in the long drawn out process of the new terminal. By the time its done we'll all have supersonic flying cars. :mrgreen:
https://mercerme.com/mercer-county-anno ... rovements/
Yeah, and the parking garage they mention will obsolete for the flying cars by then, too :D
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:Re: WN for Len90
There might be a small chance for that to happen but likely not WN has left its alternate airport philosophy and now has service in PHL and EWR. That being said opportunities at EWR may be a bit constrained due to lack of gate space and the major carriers have done well competing with them at PHL and has forced WN to downsize a bit so perhaps they would take the opportunity to move it's lower profit east coast stuff to TTN from PHL and EWR and focus on longer stage west coast stuff in the other airport. Plus there may be some people who would prefer TTN but would never fly a ULCC.

Re destinations
I can see both Delta and JetBlue gaining pax from the non ULCC travelers and DL can have some nonstop opportunities that weren't available to F9 thru the use of the CS100/300s good short runway performance I think the 100 only needs 4500 or 5000ft to fly at MTOW also DL has connection opportunities at ATL and B6 to a lesser extent at MCO and FLL but the CS100/300 would be the best chance for success as travelers prefer nonstop. Theoretically the CS100 can do 3100nm which would have it going from TTN to Europe, Central America, parts of South America, so it should be able to do the mainland US from TTN without a problem
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=3100nm%40TTN&MS=wls&DU=mi
Looks like the CS100 (A220) does have a real chance at TTN...but in the form of a startup named Moxy:
http://wpst.com/a-new-low-cost-airline- ... port-soon/
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Jerseyguy »

No Trenton stealing jokes it's in Ewing which is much safer

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... exit-sign/
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

Jerseyguy wrote:No Trenton stealing jokes it's in Ewing which is much safer

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... exit-sign/
It would be fantastic if they caught the person who stole it, then made them reimburse having to fly a new sign in. People are idiots.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Jerseyguy
Bag Smasher
Bag Smasher
Posts: 81
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Jerseyguy »

I came across the video of the meeting that the county had regarding the new terminal in January (https://vimeo.com/314261906) and it showed the comments of some of the NIMBYs and this women from some advocate group (it didn't sound like she lived in the area) said something fairly outlandish thats to that effect "At your current operating level surrounding areas are under seige. Your purposed improvements will pave the way for unlimited air traffic. Once the improvements are made there is no regulation to limit a huge traffic expansion. It will devastate our region. Currently we have jet fuel and pollutants falling in our homes, in our water and on our land without any measurement having been done over the past 20 years of the environmental impact. We have plummeting property values. Once peaceful neighborhoods sound and feel like war zones due to high volumes of planes traveling at all hours of the day and night" (as close to verbatim as I could get).

So lets recap
1. The current operating levels have the surrounding areas "under seige"
2. The purposed improvements will pave the way for "unlimited air traffic"
(there are going to be 800 flights out of a 4 gate terminal?? She should share her secrets as I'm sure gate constrained airports would love to find a way even to add 50% more flights)
3. Peaceful neighborhoods now sound and feel like war zones
4. high volumes of planes at all hours of the day and night
(Wow, I didn't know we had flights departing at all hours? Is the 3am Departure to MCO new??)

One other women said that without a cap in the number of flights, Trenton could turn into Newark :mrgreen:
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1734
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: Trenton–Mercer Airport (TTN/KTTN) General Discussion

Post by Cary »

All these NIMBYs sound exactly the same. Low on facts and high on baseless fear mongering. They are usually people who have run out of other hobbies to do.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Post Reply