Ads here, ads there, ads everywhere on Airliners.net

Have an issue with the policies or inconsistencies of a certain website? Received a ridiculous request for your photo? Post about it here.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ads here, ads there, ads everywhere on Airliners.net

Post by Cary »

What are your thoughts about the ads on Airliners.net? Here's one particularly-annoying survey ad which a user must answer, after reaching A.net from a Google search:

Clicking on the "Learn more" link gives the following explanation:

Yet, the A.net staff (or the one former staff member willing to discuss the issue) denied Airliners.net or Demand Media having anything to do with the Google Survey.
Once again, this site has nothing to do with this "survey" and it's a GOOGLE issue, not a Demand Media issue. More than likely this is somewhat related to the site's use of Google Ad Sense as an advertising provider.
It's been almost 2 years since the surveys reared their ugly head, and A.net and Demand Media are still being "being used a test of sorts for this, and being used as a test subject unwittingly"? Come on, just say it with me, A.net..."the surveys are there to make money, because that is the goal of the site"...

You'd think the horribly-irrelevant "From around the web" ads would already rake in enough money for the site, for them to still be up after many complaints:

And finally, the latest and greatest in intrusive ads; the full-page video ads:

Worst of all, even if you pony up the money for a First Class Membership, which promises "Fly Airliners Ad Free - No banner ads or pop-ups!", you're likely to still see them, as evidenced by the numerous complaints in their Site Related forum. So what do you think? Are the mountain of ads appropriate for offsetting server and other costs, or are they excessive for a site that revolves mainly upon unpaid staff and free content? Do you use ad blockers to avoid the ads altogether?
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
mad_dawg_DC9
Sickness Bag Collector

Re: Ads here, ads there, ads everywhere on Airliners.net

Post by mad_dawg_DC9 »

Ah, the ads... :thumbdown: These are sort of like taxes; people don't want to pay taxes until they see what would cease if they did not pay up to Uncle Sam. A.net has to get revenue from somewhere to keep running and to give photographers exposure. However, the way A.net has set these up have made it incredibly, incredibly annoying to visit the site. I don't mind ads if they are non-intrusive. The banner ads on the left and/or right do not annoy me as much as the ones that pop up immediately. Even with my pop-up blocker, I still find myself fighting three or four minimum each visit. Until I caught on, the flashy bar at the bottom would trick me into closing my original window and leaving the ad up. :roll: Now, I don't even look at the ads and immediately look for the "X" or something to close it down. The Google question is a bit intrusive, IMHO--some would argue that, like Facebook, you get what you pay for. A free access to a site means that you can't complain when some information is asked of you in return (even if it is a totally unscientific poll which would have no validity in any case). Maybe I shouldn't post here in this public setting :shh:, but if you click the address bar and press "enter," it reloads the page without the question. Sometimes I go around this by searching within A.net, which as you well know, is not that good.

In summary, the ads are not working on me--I don't look at them, I do my best to go around them, and I am visiting the site less and less often these days because of the bombardment. If the ads were more aviation-oriented instead, then I might look at them but only if they are non-intrusive (like non-flashy banners on the side).
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

Nice work on the address bar enter key trick :lol: Makes sense, since it only shows up if the referrer is Google Search.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Philly2SoCal
SkyMall Shopper

Post by Philly2SoCal »

I usually don't have many annoying ones. A lot of them are airlines, especially ones I've recently visited in searching for fares for my trip home this summer. I do get annoying ones sometimes when clicking on a photo or the link to the forum. Instead of the photo or forum coming up, I get a ad. To get where I want to go, I have to close the ad and reclick the link.