A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top 5

Have an issue with the policies or inconsistencies of a certain website? Received a ridiculous request for your photo? Post about it here.
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

Len re-opened this topic on A.net's site here:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1337481

and I chimed in again, as everyone knows I've been outspoken on this issue for some time now. Vik mentioned that they ran a trial of the non-newsworthy 24-hour promo ban (which I was aware of), but still no details on what their findings were, exactly.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 352
Joined: Feb 07, 2014
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Moose135 »

Cary wrote:...but still no details on what their findings were, exactly.
They found that not enough of their "favored photographers" were making the Top 5 that way, so they changed the system... :o
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

Seems to be that the top 5 is becoming an editor'c choice (the editor is the facebook-account owner) section.

This is really odd and ruining any kind of competition.

Still, a.net is clearly desperate for traffic, and seems the only way to get signifcant one for the site is by social media.
They do not realise that they are in a one-way street.
Their ignorace will only lead other photographers to leave and less interesting photos will result in less traffic.


I just had a look at their top of the last 24H, which in reality is top of the last 48 hours these days, but it is quite telling that the last pic on the first page of this section has 118 views.
We are speaking about the 24th most popular shot of the last 48hours!

Hardly anyone seems to bother with the photos on the proper a.net-page anymore. And I see it on myself, not only did I stop uploading, I don't visit the site that often anymore, roundabout once every 2 or three days and it used to be part of my daily routine.
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

JKPhotos wrote: Still, a.net is clearly desperate for traffic, and seems the only way to get signifcant one for the site is by social media.
They do not realise that they are in a one-way street.
Their ignorace will only lead other photographers to leave and less interesting photos will result in less traffic.
:thumbup:

Yup, there's obviously a lot of pressure to get traffic back to the site.

Image

"Contests, top ranking photographers, and future live streams"...what? They really aren't getting this at all :roll: Pander to low-quality Facebook viewers instead of treating the content providers (photographers/posters) fairly and with respect. Good luck with that!
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

Cary wrote:
"Contests, top ranking photographers, and future live streams"...what? They really aren't getting this at all :roll: Pander to low-quality Facebook viewers instead of treating the content providers (photographers/posters) fairly and with respect. Good luck with that!
Yeah, I read this as well and I didn't know wether to laugh or cry.
A live-stream of an aircraft taxiing? Does anyone think that is interesting?? Come on. D-E_S-P-E-R-A-T-E !!
Contests? Yeah, but you do need good photographers to participate to make it a success.

Yes, they don't get it, I mean they live from the photographers and their content and neither seem to listen or care what they do have to say? Come on.
What about solving some site issues or listen to photographers and try to bring some back?
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

JKPhotos wrote:
Cary wrote:
"Contests, top ranking photographers, and future live streams"...what? They really aren't getting this at all :roll: Pander to low-quality Facebook viewers instead of treating the content providers (photographers/posters) fairly and with respect. Good luck with that!
Yeah, I read this as well and I didn't know wether to laugh or cry.
A live-stream of an aircraft taxiing? Does anyone think that is interesting?? Come on. D-E_S-P-E-R-A-T-E !!
Contests? Yeah, but you do need good photographers to participate to make it a success.

Yes, they don't get it, I mean they live from the photographers and their content and neither seem to listen or care what they do have to say? Come on.
What about solving some site issues or listen to photographers and try to bring some back?
It's sad to see how they have lost touch with what made the site a powerhouse. Ultimately they get paid based off of the ad revenue. The more traffic you attract, the more you can charge for ad space and the more ads that will end up being displayed. The revenue stream is dependent on the content; which was always the top quality photos taken by some of the best aviation photographers in the world. These shameless cheap fb posts to make people click isn't the solution. You're not going to get people interested with something as lame as a basic plane taxiing. If it was like the first of a kind, that will definitely attract but not that.

I've also been questioning to see what is going on with the site's queue situation. Right now the site is down to a queue number that is less than before the migration to the new site. As of the last time I checked (last week) turnaround time was around 10-12 days.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

Len90 wrote:I've also been questioning to see what is going on with the site's queue situation. Right now the site is down to a queue number that is less than before the migration to the new site. As of the last time I checked (last week) turnaround time was around 10-12 days.
Just wake me up when they get the copyright banner fixed, and maybe I'll start posting some better stuff again. Until then, I guess I'll just enjoy viewing countless LAX promotions and "Is this the best paint scheme ever??!!!1" posts on their FB page :|
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

Len90 wrote: I've also been questioning to see what is going on with the site's queue situation. Right now the site is down to a queue number that is less than before the migration to the new site. As of the last time I checked (last week) turnaround time was around 10-12 days.
I think screeners first made quite an effort, my last uploads were all screened on the same day 2 weeks a go, although I uploaded them on three different days. Can't tell how it is now, but I guess much less shots get uploaded these days, so easy to keep the queue low. Most of the photographers I know at least temporarily stopped to upload there.
Cary wrote: Just wake me up when they get the copyright banner fixed, and maybe I'll start posting some better stuff again. Until then, I guess I'll just enjoy viewing countless LAX promotions and "Is this the best paint scheme ever??!!!1" posts on their FB page :|
Yeah, these posts are so odd. Pictures we've seen already and that were posted on the same account before, posts that are supposed to be funny and that aren't. The "best livery ever" on the Azerbaijan 787, showing a shot with a cut vertical stabilizer and awfully tight crop and colurs that look like it has been heavily processed, again I am like "come on".
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

JKPhotos wrote: I think screeners first made quite an effort, my last uploads were all screened on the same day 2 weeks a go, although I uploaded them on three different days. Can't tell how it is now, but I guess much less shots get uploaded these days, so easy to keep the queue low. Most of the photographers I know at least temporarily stopped to upload there.
So according to what screener Kas said last night there were 7380 pictures in the queue and he had an image that two about two weeks to get through screening. To me that sounds more like a dramatic drop in the uploads. Yes the screeners did do a nice job of catching up, but it seems like they were greatly assisted this time but a slowdown in submissions. When the queue was up 10+ days waiting you usually were around 10-11K photos.
JKPhotos wrote:Yeah, these posts are so odd. Pictures we've seen already and that were posted on the same account before, posts that are supposed to be funny and that aren't. The "best livery ever" on the Azerbaijan 787, showing a shot with a cut vertical stabilizer and awfully tight crop and colurs that look like it has been heavily processed, again I am like "come on".
That photo looks to be HDR or some other sort of over saturation. Too artificial and makes top photo of the day thanks in part to a fb promotion...
Cary wrote: Just wake me up when they get the copyright banner fixed, and maybe I'll start posting some better stuff again. Until then, I guess I'll just enjoy viewing countless LAX promotions and "Is this the best paint scheme ever??!!!1" posts on their FB page :|
Well everyone is happy now that they got the blue background back on the forums.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

Len90 wrote: Well everyone is happy now that they got the blue background back on the forums.
Yeah, it doesn't stop to amaze me. Isn't this a website about photos? Yet the number one issue and the first thing that was solved are the form colours?!

THIS will surely bring photgraphers back! :roll: :roll:
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

You want to see what the Top 5 Looks like without Social Media promotion?


Just deduct the AA787 from the screenshot. We have shots with 161 and 86 (!!), yes 86 views in the top 5. I really cannot believe that it has gotten so low for a.net.

Image


Really, I don't see uploading currently being worth the effort.
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

JKPhotos wrote:You want to see what the Top 5 Looks like without Social Media promotion?


Just deduct the AA787 from the screenshot. We have shots with 161 and 86 (!!), yes 86 views in the top 5. I really cannot believe that it has gotten so low for a.net.

Image


Really, I don't see uploading currently being worth the effort.
Were there any issues with screening, like a dead period or something? That seems ridiculously low, even with the huge drop in numbers recently. And if it is solely because nothing new was promoted, I can see them pointing to that as a reason to continue instapromos, even though the premise is flawed (they'd have to tally the aggregate views somehow, to get a good comparison).
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

On the screening front all I have heard is things are chugging along. I personally wonder if they have slowed down the screening as the queue has shrunken to a number below what it was like before the migration but the turnaround time was still pretty long. With that said, the recently added shows 575 pictures with some of them being added on July 10 and July 11so there might really be a slowdown in the screening.

What we see is that the site's traffic is truly coming from social media as many avid site fans have lost interest. Meanwhile on the other side things are a lot nicer. Pictures easily break 100 views in the first 24 hours. Look at Cary's newest Frontier 321 on a.net which has barely gotten above 100 views after a few days. To me it shows a loss of interest and that can only stem from a few factors: the user friendliness and functionality of the site, disregard for the people in power running the site, or just a general loss of interest in this topic. With the spike in hits on jetphotos, I would tend to think that the interest is still there but maybe slightly shifted in its focus. Could jetphotos really just be benefitting from the flightradar24 tie in? It's a good possibility as everybody seems to love curiously looking at what planes are around them and it draws hits and traffic to jetphotos.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

Len90 wrote:On the screening front all I have heard is things are chugging along. I personally wonder if they have slowed down the screening as the queue has shrunken to a number below what it was like before the migration but the turnaround time was still pretty long. With that said, the recently added shows 575 pictures with some of them being added on July 10 and July 11so there might really be a slowdown in the screening.

What we see is that the site's traffic is truly coming from social media as many avid site fans have lost interest. Meanwhile on the other side things are a lot nicer. Pictures easily break 100 views in the first 24 hours. Look at Cary's newest Frontier 321 on a.net which has barely gotten above 100 views after a few days. To me it shows a loss of interest and that can only stem from a few factors: the user friendliness and functionality of the site, disregard for the people in power running the site, or just a general loss of interest in this topic. With the spike in hits on jetphotos, I would tend to think that the interest is still there but maybe slightly shifted in its focus. Could jetphotos really just be benefitting from the flightradar24 tie in? It's a good possibility as everybody seems to love curiously looking at what planes are around them and it draws hits and traffic to jetphotos.
JP definitely got a nice boost from FR24, but I know a lot of people are defecting from A.net to go there, too. I just had someone else tell me they were making the move, and some of us here have uploaded more at JP. I'd venture to guess that a majority of A.net's traffic is now from the forum, which is why they seem more keen to fix that first.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

Cary wrote: JP definitely got a nice boost from FR24, but I know a lot of people are defecting from A.net to go there, too. I just had someone else tell me they were making the move, and some of us here have uploaded more at JP. I'd venture to guess that a majority of A.net's traffic is now from the forum, which is why they seem more keen to fix that first.
That makes sense as the forum still generates money from the ads on the pages and they don't pay out as it is based on the free phpBB. Easy to fix what is giving them the most hits. Ultimately on their front it seems like the basis is to instapromote and maintain a larger social media presence as each post can give them on average 2,500-5,000 hits and that means $$$ in the pockets of Demand Media.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

Cary wrote: Were there any issues with screening, like a dead period or something? That seems ridiculously low, even with the huge drop in numbers recently. And if it is solely because nothing new was promoted, I can see them pointing to that as a reason to continue instapromos, even though the premise is flawed (they'd have to tally the aggregate views somehow, to get a good comparison).
No there weren't as far as I know.

You want further proof how ridiculously low interest in a.net is, just check the top photographers of the past 24 hours:

Image

First Steve Brimley achieved 5 out of 5 on the FrontPage. Congrats to him, still it was never so easy, he seems to be the only one uploading from Farnborough.
Then look at the other "top" photographers.
286 views for 7 shots, that makes up a mere 40 views per shot. And we're speaking about the top shots!!


Len90 wrote:On the screening front all I have heard is things are chugging along. I personally wonder if they have slowed down the screening as the queue has shrunken to a number below what it was like before the migration but the turnaround time was still pretty long. With that said, the recently added shows 575 pictures with some of them being added on July 10 and July 11so there might really be a slowdown in the screening.

What we see is that the site's traffic is truly coming from social media as many avid site fans have lost interest. Meanwhile on the other side things are a lot nicer. Pictures easily break 100 views in the first 24 hours. Look at Cary's newest Frontier 321 on a.net which has barely gotten above 100 views after a few days. To me it shows a loss of interest and that can only stem from a few factors: the user friendliness and functionality of the site, disregard for the people in power running the site, or just a general loss of interest in this topic. With the spike in hits on jetphotos, I would tend to think that the interest is still there but maybe slightly shifted in its focus. Could jetphotos really just be benefitting from the flightradar24 tie in? It's a good possibility as everybody seems to love curiously looking at what planes are around them and it draws hits and traffic to jetphotos.
Again fully agree with you Len. Certainly FR24 brings some additional traffic to JP, but I don't think you can limit the rise of JP to this one factor. After all Flightradar was for quite some time linked to planespotters.net, still this was never an overly popular site.
I can say that I appreciate the user friendliness and the functionality of JP, both things not given currently at a.net. So far I feel valued at JP, not a single ridiculous rejection and those two times I interacted I got treated very nicely and with respect.
A lot of people seem to move these days.
And in my theory photographers are the ones that most click on the photos.
I mean I visited a.net for long years before I had my shots on it, whan I was just a viewer, I maybe visited it once every other day and then most of the times just viewing the top5 or the newsworthy section. But when I started to upload my shots, I quite often visited the site several times a day. Perhaps just to check if my shots were accepted or how they did fare, but most of the times I saw other interesting shots then as well and for sure clicked on them.
So less photographers means much less views.


Perhaps I am the only one, but I don't think forums give them that much traffic these days neither.
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

JK: I have to agree with you. The staff at jetphotos have been extremely nice to me. I have had three rejections: two of which were categorical and are my fault as I learn the little kinks to their site. For instance a line up for departure is a Ramp shot, not just a regular shot you put under the first plane in the frame's registration (like on a.net). The other info I somehow never populated a CN number. I've tested a pair of new shots on jetphotos that were never sent to a.net and those were accepted with ease and no BS rejection on noise that doesn't exist. I've contacted the staff at jetphotos about an upload size increase and they responded very quickly and were extremely fair to me. I'm very happy with the treatment there right now and see no reason to stop uploading.

Lastly, the forum is a big money maker for the site. You still have plenty of action on the civil aviation section and people will flock to the forum if anything occurs. The photo views have plummeted as the bigger photographers have left. I too would visit to see what good stuff was accepted and click on photos that really caught my eye. I would see who else was submitting from the airports I was at and look at their shots instead of my own. The only time I would really do anything for my accepted shots was to copy the ID# to post in the thread on here.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class
Posts: 251
Joined: Mar 20, 2016

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by JKPhotos »

It is really getting odd, not that they are particularly creating a top 5, but a.net seems to desperately advertise on facebook some of their all-time more interesting shots, but like 100 (ok, I am exaggerating, but it feels like this) posts a day.

This screams dispair so much, that I almost start to feel ashamed.
It's like we need traffic, no matter what.
Why not try to improve the new site, or to improve the new site a bit faster, or reintroduce the old-site and not come back with the new one until it is fully tested.

Any of these would bring photographers and traffic back.

With the current way they start to embarrass themselves. To their defence, I am pretty sure that this is not voluntary.

After all it is a shame, this used to be my favourite Website, and there was a reason why I stick to it, despite getting thrugh strange Screening periods and not always being treated with respect...
User avatar
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 1737
Joined: Dec 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

JKPhotos wrote:It is really getting odd, not that they are particularly creating a top 5, but a.net seems to desperately advertise on facebook some of their all-time more interesting shots, but like 100 (ok, I am exaggerating, but it feels like this) posts a day.

This screams dispair so much, that I almost start to feel ashamed.
It's like we need traffic, no matter what.
Why not try to improve the new site, or to improve the new site a bit faster, or reintroduce the old-site and not come back with the new one until it is fully tested.

Any of these would bring photographers and traffic back.

With the current way they start to embarrass themselves. To their defence, I am pretty sure that this is not voluntary.

After all it is a shame, this used to be my favourite Website, and there was a reason why I stick to it, despite getting thrugh strange Screening periods and not always being treated with respect...
Yeah, it seems kind of desperate and there have been a few odd promotions, but at least they seem to be promoting mostly only newsworthy and post-first day shots lately, from what I've seen. That's all I wanted them to do, so I can't complain. And yes, I think they are under tremendous pressure from Demand Media at the moment.
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Len90
First Class
First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Feb 07, 2014

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Len90 »

This to me screams of Demand Media influencing them to improve traffic. Posts are around 2 posts ever other hour. Sadly Demand Media is just interested in generating page hits and for them that means pushing the social media to the extreme.

Now I wonder if that instapromotion for non newsworthy images was halted due to the speaking up by myself and others or is it just a coincidence.... we'll never know. I personally still find fault with them not having the copyright bar yet. We are well over a month on the new site and no script written for it :x
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
Post Reply