A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top 5

Have an issue with the policies or inconsistencies of a certain website? Received a ridiculous request for your photo? Post about it here.
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: A.net Social Media Promotions Creating an Artificial Top

Post by Cary »

Len90 wrote:This to me screams of Demand Media influencing them to improve traffic. Posts are around 2 posts ever other hour. Sadly Demand Media is just interested in generating page hits and for them that means pushing the social media to the extreme.

Now I wonder if that instapromotion for non newsworthy images was halted due to the speaking up by myself and others or is it just a coincidence.... we'll never know. I personally still find fault with them not having the copyright bar yet. We are well over a month on the new site and no script written for it :x
I just hope the halt in instapromos isn't just another temporary test to see how it affects site views. Especially since it would be extremely difficult to measure at this time, when views have already plummeted. And yes, the copyright banners should really be fixed. It's pretty much all that's holding me back from uploading at this point. It really shouldn't be a big deal - it's just adding a colored rectangle, logo image and variable text pulled from the database for the photographer name. I have a feeling Demand doesn't really want to spend much more money on development, though :|
AeroPX on Instagram - https://instagram.com/aeropxdotcom

View my photos: Airliners.net | JetPhotos.net | Flickr
felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

Cary wrote:I have a feeling Demand doesn't really want to spend much more money on development, though :|
Yeah, except that if they don't spend whatever much that costs to develop, their revenue might go down by a multiple of that.

Unfortunately, the model on which A.net works isn't 100% compatible with the model that Demand Media works on. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it's borderline incompatible.
View my photos: JetPhotos.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

Interesting to hear that it is just a matter of the copyright bar for you.
Good for a.net when you'll be back though.

When I see stuff like this

or this

I don't see myself getting back soon, I don't even know what to write of that...

Not to say that I can remember quite some discussion where St. Maarten shots were rejected for people being too prominent in the shot.
I almost ask myself daily these days like what the hell are they doing?
Moose135
Business Class
Business Class

Post by Moose135 »

JKPhotos wrote:When I see stuff like this
Looks like that guy has the same watermark setting on a bunch of his photos. Best comment on this one?
"Nice job capturing the new Eva Air airliners.net special logo jet! I really like the billboard titles." :lol:
Len90
First Class
First Class

Post by Len90 »

That new watermark is a joke. As for the sleaziness of that fb post... we are seeing the desperation at a.net to get as many clicks as possible.

As for me, I won't even consider uploading again until the copyright bar is back. I'm pretty content right now on jetphotos. Even without factoring a flightradar24 it still is beating a.net on view count. My test is using images that are older so not promoted.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
felipegcmh
Business Class
Business Class

Post by felipegcmh »

This one.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EVA-Air/ ... 11/3884167

I guess the photographer changed it because it used to obscure pretty much the whole airplane.

This was my reaction.
View my photos: JetPhotos.net | Flickr
Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

JKPhotos wrote: Image

I don't see myself getting back soon, I don't even know what to write of that...

Not to say that I can remember quite some discussion where St. Maarten shots were rejected for people being too prominent in the shot.
Yeah, I had a SXM photo where a guy was facing my camera and it got rejected and rejected on appeal because the guy was "posing". I told them he was posing for someone to my right (as tons of people do at Maho Beach), but apparently that didn't matter. He only took up a little portion of the frame and it gave good scale for how low the Insel MD-80 was. If he was a girl instead, I have no doubt it would have been accepted.

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

felipegcmh wrote:This one.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EVA-Air/ ... 11/3884167

I guess the photographer changed it because it used to obscure pretty much the whole airplane.

This was my reaction.
I have a feeling the screeners made the photographer change the watermark or face deletion. This also used to be 100% black and was subsequently changed:

JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

Len90 wrote:That new watermark is a joke. As for the sleaziness of that fb post... we are seeing the desperation at a.net to get as many clicks as possible.

As for me, I won't even consider uploading again until the copyright bar is back. I'm pretty content right now on jetphotos. Even without factoring a flightradar24 it still is beating a.net on view count. My test is using images that are older so not promoted.
Fully agree.

I don't get why anyone would Need a deep black large watermark though, it still ruins a shot even at the top. The way watermarks were handled before on the old anet was very good, why change it?
If anyone is sooo afraid about Image theft he should keep the pictures for himself and not upload his shots anywhere in my opinion.

And yes even not promoted shots fare way better at jp at the moment. Will also have another look at it, with test Images.
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

No a.net promotion this time, but something very weird.

I looked at the Frontpage 1 hour a go and this shot was nowhere to be seen:

One hour later, it is on first place with over 5K views...in other words it must have gotten 4K views within one hour (!!). Not even newsworthy stuff with official Promotion gets that these days.

I mean I have seen this "Harry" doing some strange stuff occasionally before, but this tops it all.

Not to say that guys that struggle to get there own shots accepted but yet feel they are in a position to give (even wrong) advice to others are the real winners for me anyway. :clap:
Len90
First Class
First Class

Post by Len90 »

JKPhotos wrote:No a.net promotion this time, but something very weird.

I looked at the Frontpage 1 hour a go and this shot was nowhere to be seen:

One hour later, it is on first place with over 5K views...in other words it must have gotten 4K views within one hour (!!). Not even newsworthy stuff with official Promotion gets that these days.

I mean I have seen this "Harry" doing some strange stuff occasionally before, but this tops it all.

Not to say that guys that struggle to get there own shots accepted but yet feel they are in a position to give (even wrong) advice to others are the real winners for me anyway. :clap:
I wouldn't be surprised either if there was something fishy.
View my photos: Airliners.net | Flickr
JKPhotos
Business Class
Business Class

Post by JKPhotos »

again the same...

45 Minutes a go the shot had 600 views, then all of a sudden not even an hour later it has 2.600, and no it wasn't promoted on anet social media channels or so. This is soooo odd:

Cary
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Cary »

JKPhotos wrote:again the same...

45 Minutes a go the shot had 600 views, then all of a sudden not even an hour later it has 2.600, and no it wasn't promoted on anet social media channels or so. This is soooo odd:

I wonder if the front page gets cached at different times for different regions? For instance, it might show the updated Top 5 with the photo in question in the USA first, then not show that version in Europe until an hour later. That's my only theory, as I believe both times it was just outside of the Top 5.